Monday, November 1, 2010

New Water with an Old Rod, Old Water with a New Rod



Chris and I convinced each other to get out fishing last week; it didn't take too much for us to get on the water. We each have frequency requirements of our own, but we so enjoy fishing together that we have a whole other requirement for how often we fish together. It had been way too long and we were double cranky from not fishing.



We decided on some Smallie hunting and settled on fishing the Big River. There is something mystical surrounding the Big for us--we can never quite remember how to get to the access points every time we go and always end up somewhere other than we intended. It happened, as usual, again this time. We found ourselves at a previously rejected spot, but found that it was one of the prettiest and fishiest-looking stretches that we'd been on. Definitely photo worthy.



We didn't get any Smallies, which was disappointing but OK. We were so happy to be back out, and the 'gills and hybrids we were catching made it even better.



The scenery got better as we worked upstream, but the fishing didn't. Again, we weren't that disappointed.





This is the old (very old) broken mill at the access point for which it's named. Pretty interesting; was a little sad to see the place's namesake and history just laying around like trash.



The next day I was able to get the 8wt I had just finished out on some water. I decided to head to a lake I used to fish as a kid since it's known for (and I've caught) some very large LM Bass. Figured that might hopefully justify taking an 9'0" 8wt to Missouri water. It didn't, but I had a ball casting and fishing the rod.



I "blooded" the rod on a 6" Crappie, not what I was hoping for but at least the rod and I weren't skunked. I caught it on a Salt Shaker late-dusk in some rocky shallows. Needless to say, the fight was neither epic or long-lasting. Still, a fish is a fish.



On my way back, I saw a sadly ironic sight. This appeared to be a rod graveyard of pieces collected from a group of rods that met their end by either an angry knee or a lawnmower. Having my new rod out that I built made this a painful sight; someone built these too. I gave them a moment of silence and moved on.



I had fun going out to old water that I hadn't seriously fished since I was a kid. Memories definitely floated to the surface, and they were all good. It was a bit surreal to be out there again, on my own rod and fly fishing. I doubt I ever thought I'd be doing that when I was a kid.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, Will! I had a great time on the Big - too bad no smallies but that's okay. We'll get 'em eventually.
    Glad the new 8 works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a comment on your pictures. That sure is a pretty stretch of the river. Sometimes the outdoor beauty this time of year makes the fishing or lack thereof to be somewhat easier to take. Some fish is better than no fish, though. Glad to see you got the 8wt on the water and got some initial fishing in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will
    The 8wt could get a pretty good work-out landing some of the spots on Smith. Even a 14" could give it a bend. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel, Fall is one of my favorite times to be out fishing. The water and everything around it takes on a magical, almost sleepy, feel. It's exciting and relaxing at the same time.

    Bill, I bet you are right! The Sevier blank is fairly progressive and low modulus. It doesn't have the sensitivity of my 3wts, but I don't expect that it would! I'll definitely be using it come spring for bass and throwing big streamers. Having a big rod like that opens up a lot of water to me, and species. I would love to get into pike and musky, not to mention steelhead. Fun to think about!

    ReplyDelete